On Wed, 30 May 2001, jethro at yaron.org wrote:
> Ok, what reasons can you guys think of for sshd not letting me log on to
> one of
> my systems? It's running debian/woody. This happens both when I apt-get ssh,
> and when I compile/install it manually (different versions of SSH, too).
>
> I can ssh out just fine, but ssh'ing in just says "Permission denied" and does
> not authenticate the password. I've had this happen on Red Hat machines when
> ssh didn't install the pam config file, but it looks like it is there now.

 Does Debian use PAM?  Either way, I have a possible solution.  If it
does, add --with-pam to the ./configure options; if not, try
--with-md5-passwords (I assume you're using them).  The configure script
doesn't seem to detect either.  (I could swear it detected PAM support in
earlier versions.)  I've run into this problem on Redhat and Slackware
boxes, respectively.
 Hope this helps.

     Jima