On Wed, May 30, 2001 at 02:55:13PM -0500, jethro at yaron.org wrote:

> I can ssh out just fine, but ssh'ing in just says "Permission denied" and does
> not authenticate the password. I've had this happen on Red Hat machines when
> ssh didn't install the pam config file, but it looks like it is there now.

Did you try shutting down sshd, and running sshd in debug/verbose
(whichever its called) in an xterm?  That usually gives a better info
on where ssh is stopping.  Also run the ingoing ssh process debug/verbose.

I doubt this is it, but are you ssh'ing in as root?  I think the default
config files don't allow that anymore.

--
Jim Crumley                  |
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |