Since nobody else answered the actual question. (although there were a lot of
interesting suggestions. ;-) I'll try.  What you are thinking about is the
Apricorn EZ-Gig. Its a PCMCIA IDE adapter and software designed to move the
contents of your current drive to your new, Apricorn, drive. I first
encountered these when purchasing a new drive for a Fujitsu Lifebook. It uses
a thin (9mm high) drive. Most generic laptop drives are 12-15 mm high.
Apricorn sells many drives pacakged for particular makes. They also sell the
Ez gig as convienent way to move the data between machines.

That said it runs about $100 at CDW.

Jack