On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 04:20:56PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> I guess the last point I'll make, is I don't see any commerical application
> servers written in perl. I also could not find any open source application
> servers written in perl.
>
> It's a lame point, but if most of the application servers are written in C or
> Java and support Java there must be some merit to Java as a web development
> language.

I suspect that this has more to do with C being the reigning incumbent
language (some people may not like C, but just about everyone knows it) and
Java both being fairly C-like and having a lot of hype generated about it
early on.  Perl, OTOH, has a lot of non-C-like idioms which make some people
uncomfortable.[1]

But, again, perl's biggest strength is in manipulating text.  I think it would
be quite a stretch to consider an app server to be primarily a text
processor, so it doesn't really surprise me.  Sure, you could write one in
perl if you really wanted to, but it's not the first language I would think
of for the task, even though it's one that I really like.

I don't see the app serving == web development link you imply, though.  Or do
you mean something different by an app server than I think you do?  (I'm
thinking of something very similar to an ORB.)

[1]  Back before I got hooked on perl, I worked with a guy who was a
big-time OO (something else that was grafted onto perl, while it was
a core piece of Java from the start) and Patterns zealot and hated
toolkits that didn't provide you with exactly one obviously correct way
to accomplish something.  The Cult of TIMTOWTDI would've been enough to
make him reject any thought of using perl.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.12:  GCS d? s+: a C++ UL++++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+