"Scott MIller" <mill1359 at tc.umn.edu> writes:

> I know this has been asked in the past but I haven't really found
> anything to help.
>
> I'm using a Cisco 675 router to connect to my ISP via PPP. I have it
> going into the uplink port on my hub for the other computers on the
> network (1 Linux, 2 Win98).  The router is set up as the DHCP server and
> it applies an IP of 10.0.0.* to computers on the network.
>
> I'm having trouble getting Samba to work via this set up.  I can see my
> linux box on the windows machine but when I try to access it, the
> message that it could not find that machine comes up.

I'm running something very like that.  Samba 2.0.7, redhat 6.2-derived
servers, Windows 98 clients.  I had a *lot* of fiddling to get
everything to see everything else, and I was never sure what had been
wrong and what fixed it, but it works now (two different Linux servers
serving disk shares accessed by the windows boxes, plus some windows
boxes sharing as well).  I'm not asking Samba to be PDC, in fact
nothing is being PDC.  Thus I'm using share-level access control.  I
had to play quite a lot with default user settings and SMBusers and
SMBpaswd files.  As I say, I'm not really sure I understand how and
why it works now or how and why it didn't before.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/