Make sure your /home directory is on it's own partition, tar zcvf
/home/moomonk/etc.tgz /etc, then reinstall without formatting /home.  Use
the stuff from your old /etc to rebuild any config files you may have
changed.

I've only tried doing an upgrade twice (once with Mandrake, once with
RedHat).  Trust me, you're better off reinstalling.