On Fri, 25 May 2001, Florin Iucha wrote:

> On Fri, May 25, 2001 at 08:46:59AM -0700, AAAunderground wrote:
> > >    The reasoning I follow is this. If we take the example of a record
> > > (as in LP, vinyl), a point in the outside moves faster relative to a
> > > point closer to the center. If hard drives were vinyl LPs, I would want
> >
> > That was the case with older drives. But definately all new drives have
> > a design built into them that allow the drive to spin at the same speed
> > thoughout the platter. Unfortunatly I can not think of the name of the
> > technology that allows this right now. It is the same thing that is used
> > in cdroms for the same purpose. So to answer the question , no it
> > doesn't matter on a performance or accesibility level where you store
> > crucial files.

No, I don't believe that's correct.  Linear track speed varies because
rotational speed is constant on HDs.  A 7200rpm drive isn't 6000-8200, it
stays put.

The first time I ran into variable speed was when Apple put it on the
original Mac 3.5 floppy, I think.

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous