Perhaps the old style io.sys located in sector zero of the partition isn't
needed anymore. I seem to recall hearing something about that around when
win98 came out. That perhaps the boot loader knows enough to find the
start of the boot data area, read the root directory and do a far jump
over to the binary (as opposed to just loading a bit more and getting the
start of io.sys)

Josh

___SIG___