I use rsh in conjunction with CVS on my linux box to access a
repository kept on a Solaris system.

Or at least I *used to*.  I've just upgraded to RedHat 7.1 and now
rsh to those hosts doesn't work any longer.  I just get errors like
the following:

prompt> rsh -d <hostname> uptime
poll: protocol failure in circuit setup

No matter what command I do, I get this error.  Mystifyingly enough,
at the same time, rlogin works just fine.

The only thing I can think of is that RedHat 7.1 comes with a new
version of rsh that is more fussy about some protocol than our Solaris
systems are.

I am still able to use CVS w/ rsh from Windows 2K (for shame!), so the
problem seems to be Linux.

Any of you had experiences like this?

[I also find that smbfs works less well than it did on the 2.2.21
kernel I had built before the install....]