On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 03:58:12PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Brady Hegberg wrote:
> >
> > My Redhat 7.1 machine seems to be having a prob with its SMC Ultra card.
> > It worked fine with 6 but now...well the machine can ping itself but it
> > can't ping the other machine on the network.  When I try I see the
> > lights blink on the hub but nothing gets through...
> >
> > I see a bunch of these in "dmesg":
> >
> > NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> > eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3, ISR=0x43, t=101.
> >
> > Any suggestions?  I spent hours searching the web for this error
> > yesterday and I couldn't find anything that seemed to apply to me.
>
> Hmmm, I wonder... Could there be an IRQ sharing problem in kernel 2.4?
>
> I'm having problems getting a TV tuner card working in my machine. What
> with 3 video cards, sound, ethernet, video capture and the onboard ACPI
> and USB, (Wait, this may be it, why is ACPI enabled...) there's just not
> enough IRQ's to go around. (Thats 8!) As long as I keep the capture card
> off the IRQ of my primary AGP video card, everything works fine in
> windows. However with the video capture card plugged in, linux freaks
> out. I can boot into console mode, but as soon as X starts up, USB
> freaks out and shuts off, and so does my ethernet with a similar
> message. Leaving me without a mouse or a net connection.
>
> Though that sounds more like X making things freak out when it
> initialises the video cards now that I think of it. Wish there was a way
> to make the BIOS assign IRQ's to the AGP card (It won't work unless you
> do) but not to the PCI's (They don't need it).
>
> Blargh. Managing PCI IRQ's is like hearding cats. Big cats. Like lions.
> Yeah, thats it...

My setup is a bit simpler, but I do have a video card and a TV tuner
card. I spent time to ensure that the two used different IRQs, but no
matter how I confired the BIOS Linux insisted on sharing the same IRQ
(5) between the video and the TV tuner. Anyway, it works fine. I can
watch TV, while also using Win4Lin to balance my books using Quicken.

Perhaps that's part of it. Although I updated most everything on my
system to Redhat 7.1, I'm still running a 2.2.19 kernel.

---
Jim Kaufman		mailto:jmk at kaufman.eden-prairie.mn.us
home: 952-934-4851	Eden Prairie, MN 55346
fax:  952-937-9832