> I don't know what's up with the Debian packages, but you should probably
> just install the binary packages at www.xfree86.org. Then just rin
> xf86config, and startx.

What? Why? Everything you need is allready packaged...you make no sense at
all.

>dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
>
>Care to give me a hint as to what replaced "startx"? And where can I
>_find_ this information?

Nothing has replaced startx, make sure the xbase-clients package is
installed (apt-cache search and dpkg --search are your friends. :).

Also make sure that /usr/X11R6/bin is in your PATH.

As for where to find this information, It should be in the documentation,
but given that woody is pre-felease quality, the push for updating
documentation hasn't come around yet. That push will come in the final
stages of the code freeze. :) Currently the best place to find information
on unstable and testing is #debian on irc.openprojects.net. Ask the crowd,
but apt the infobot, read the topic and /msg apt news.

You should also try installing task-x-window-system-core and
task-x-window-system just to make sure you have everything.

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   His power apparently lies in his ability to  |
|           choose incompetent enemies.          |
|    - Crow T. Robot, MST3K, "Prince of Space"   |