I am in the process of building my own linux system.  I have a bootable linux kernel ona minimal ext2 filesystem and midnight commander.  That is all.  Now I want to add software, and do not have the make command.  What software package would I need to install first, in order to run make?  I thought it might be bin86 or gcc.  Any suggestions.  Also I have two kernels which I boot between.  One displays the boot sequence and the other appears to be directed to a /dev/null.  I have not been able to locate where I would change this.  It must be in the kernel itself.

Thanks In Advance
Brian R. Barnholtz