Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I got glibc-2.2.3 and I tried to update and there are lots of
> dependencies that fail. There are many other packages that depend on the
> old glibc-2.1, ok, irritating, but I understand.
>
> On of these packages is pam, so I go get the latest pam, BUT it depends
> on rpm 4.0 to be installed. Another irritation. :-)
>
> Grabbed rpm 4.0, it depends on glibc-2.2.3! ARRGH! Circular
> dependencies.
>
> Is my only choice to compile everything by hand?

Well, you probably don't have to recompile everything, but you may have to
compile at least one thing.  Perhaps try doing an `rpm --rebuild' on the
rpm 4.0 source.  Perhaps you'd be able to upgrade that, then install
everything (of course, rpm might itself become dependent on glibc-2.1..)

Also, have you perhaps tried just installing (rather than upgrading)
glibc-2.2.3?  I suppose it's possible you could get two glibcs on the
system at once, long enough to upgrade rpm and then upgrade the other
packages.

I suppose you could also ignore pam for a while -- it's only around to
authenticate a login, so as long as you have several shells up and
running, and don't type `exit', you'll be okay until it can be upgraded.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   WWhhaatt ddooeess
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   dduupplleexx mmeeaann??