Clay Fandre wrote:

> Any opinions on this?

In terms of whether Linus is right or not, I don't have any doubts that he is.
I can't believe they've been handing out blocks of major device numbers to individual
vendors of disc controllers.

It appears that Linus is proposing consolidating all devices of a kind under a single
major and allocating minors for each controller.  It is not readily apparent how he
proposes to allocate minor numbers (but that is a minor issue...).

In terms of Linus interpersonal relationship style, I don't know what I think.  This
is typical of Linus at his extreme moments (look back sometime last year to when he
told everybody their code sucked and everyone was going to have to start over - I
think it had to do with context switching - I do remember that starting over resulted
in a much better solution).

At any rate, there is no denying that Linus is one of the most successfull software
development managers of all time.  Maybe this is the style programmers need to be
productive?