Let me know how it goes. I have had some problems using ntpdate on an ntp server because ntpdate wants to use the port the server is listening on. I can (and have) shutdown the ntp server, updated the time using ntpdate (and saved it to the hwclock), and restarted the ntp server, but I think ntpdate is not as sophisticated as you suppose (though I could be very wrong, please tell me if that is so) because the clients will not update from the server for a time afterward. I assumed they were 'pissed off' because their 'stable' time source just shifted a drastic amount.

I think that the ntp server does the gradual time adjustment, but upstream server admins like to know about your use of their server (ntp connection-wise, not ntpdate) or they might block you. Didn't the U block the RTE ntp server from syncing, or am I remembering things that didn't happen again?

>>> veldy at veldy.net 05/16/01 11:34AM >>>
You only need to make a connection to an ntp server on a periodic basis (and
you can script it to initiate a dial-up connection).  It doesn't reset your
clock, it changes the "speed" of you clock so that it can minimize drift.
If you are ahead, it will slow you clock down, if you are behind, it will
speed your clock up.  I believe it only affects the OS clock, so unless you
save your system clock to the hardware clock, the changes are lost.  This is
an excellent way to do it, as it avoids time discrepencies in databases and
file modification times.

I my FreeBSD system check time.nist.gov once daily and I haven't seen
anything greater than about a 3 second drift on a bad day.  Incidentally, on
FreeBSD you can do this in a periodic script:

#!/bin/sh

# /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/100.ntp-timeadj

# If there is a global system configuration file, suck it in.
#
if [ -r /etc/defaults/periodic.conf ]
then
    . /etc/defaults/periodic.conf
    source_periodic_confs
fi

case "$daily_ntp_time_adj_enable" in
    [Yy][Ee][Ss])
        echo ""
        echo "Adjusting system time against ntp server:"
        /usr/sbin/ntpdate time.nist.gov
        rc=0
        ;;

    *)  rc=0;;
esac

exit $rc

And then add:

# 100.time_adjustment
daily_ntp_time_adj_enable="YES"

to your /etc/periodic.conf file.

I am setting this machine up to run as an ntp server for the other machines
on my LAN so that they are all in sync.

Tom Veldhouse
veldy at veldy.net