--- Mike Hicks <hick0088 at tc.umn.edu> wrote:
> I'm looking for a good way to keep watch over the temperature in the
> server room at work..  I know that there are a number of temperature
> probes and stuff out there, but I haven't ever seen any of them in
> operation.  Preferably, I'd just like something that I can plug into
> parallel port or something, and that doesn't require me soldering
> parts
> together (my soldering skillz aren't that great ;-)
   Have you heard of Dallas Semiconductor's (http://www.dalsemi.com)
DS18S20? It's a cheap little temperature probe that, with the DS9097U,
plugs into a serial port. It looks to be a neat little gadget for cheap
(something around $2.50 for the probe, and $10 for the serial adapter)
and you can even hook several together. Well supported under Linux.
Check out freshmeat for "dallas" or go to
http://www.brianlane.com/digitemp.php for DigiTemp, a software
controller for the DS18S20 for Linux (older versions support DOS and
Win95). One of these days I'll get around to buying this stuff.
   :Peter