> What you say makes sense, but everything (including the HOWTO/docs at
> www.real-time.com) say to issue
> 'set ppp wan0-0 ipcp 0.0.0.0'
	yeah, that *ought* to work. that's what the Cisco manual says to do;
and indeed what works for many customers. what it means is that it should
get its IP assignment from the RADIUS server here; which lists the static
address to be associated with your username/passwd.
	sometimes it doesn't, tho; so it doesn't hurt to
'set ppp wan0-0 ipcp 65.165.40.38' in your case.

> Also, I got the idea that the router IP should be assigned to eth0.  The
> aforementioned docs say 192.168.x.x, which is goofy if you have a subnet,
> no?
	yes, the router IP should be assigned to both wan0-0 and eth0. when
I wrote that doco I had to pick *some* address, so I chose a reserved
address to avoid stepping on anyone's toes.
	you *should* substitute a routeable IP in place of the non-routeable
one I put in the docs, in this case.

if anyone has suggesstions on how to make this clearer, I'd be more than
happy to listen to them.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer