On Tue, 15 May 2001, Ben Kochie wrote:

> well.. i'd agree with you, but that's like saying that *BSD and Linux
> arn't unix.  x86 is a platform, the original IBM PC was a platform, it's
> just really old.. and for PC's to keep that kind of backwards
> compatability is kinda silly, but we're stuck with it

I see what you're saying, but the point that was being made was that an
architecture is a lot more formal (and the implication is that *done
correctly*, more thought out) than what Intel sells.  Intel is a chip
manufacturer; they never have been an "architecture" company.

Anyway, ain't my idee-er, it's my old man's.  I just liked the sound of
it. :)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous