> Message: 14
> Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 01:52:44 -0500
> From: Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>
> To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Different tclug lists
>
> Quoting Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com):
> > people will bother to read the newbie Q&A list, no one will get
> > their questions answered and the newbies will wither and die,
> > turning tclug in to an elitist society. Which may not be a bad
> > thing, but *cough* ahem... Whatever. Blargh.
>
> Segmenting the list will breed elitism, if there is not enough here
It is also the fundamental element that corporations such as
microf at ck use to keep you as a customer. It plays on the fears of
the consumer so they have no reasonable choice other than to
submit to there "place" in the list. I believe that if you look at the
1960's and the troubles that arose during the civil rights movement,
you will see the same kinds of segragation.
> already. :-) What I have seen work best, is what they do at jdc (java
> develop connection) is to give everyone several hundred java bucks to
> "seed" the rewards board.
Then to exploit the situation by sowing the seeds of capitalism you
further pervet the sanctity of knowledge. We are all connected as
humankind just as the filesystem is connected by the / . To battle
over trivial mental superiority is conterproductive to an obvious
common goal we share. That goal as I see it is to be self reliant on
our own resources. That is what open source means to me. When
you try to filter knowledge in any manner that restricts you from
that knowledge you are acting just as the corporation that sells you
a broken non-refundable non-repairable product.

> When people post a question, they assign java bucks to it. The person
> who answers it first, to the statisfaction of the poster and a
> moderator get the java bucks, whicn you can then use on your own
> questions OR use them in the Java Online store to buy trinkets and
> trash.
>
> If you REALLY want an answer, you assign it more java bucks.
If you REALLY want an answer, give an answer and get and
answer and so on and so forth.

-Spencer Underground