If it's general C you're looking for, I used a book in a procedural
programming class at the U of M called, "Applications Programming in ANSI C"
by Richard Johnsonbaugh and Martin Kalin. In addition to this book, I used a
Schaum Outline called "Programming with C." Both books are fairly good at
covering ANSI C but the first one moves at a more rapid pace and seems to
have a better logic to it. For instance, the first book covers arrays with
some depth in chapter six, whereas the second covers them in chapter nine
and there aren't too many chapters after that. I think the first book will
be there for you when you need more advanced skills but the second won't.
The first one, however, has a little steeper learning curve and I would say
it works very well in a class-room setting.

If you're looking to do a lot of useful stuff in a UNIX right away, my
personal opinion is that you'll get up to speed quicker with PERL. C is a
great language but is also a difficult language to learn for some. I'm in no
sense of the word a talented C programmer(same goes for PERL), but I've
found PERL easier to do stuff I need to do because it's so flexible. Some of
the best books I've found on PERL are from O'Reilly. For a beginning PERL
programmer, I wouldn't recommend the famous Camel book. It does have example
code and is great if your feet are already wet, but if you're trying to
learn it step by step, I would get the Learning PERL book first. PERL also
supports, borrows from, and resembles C quite a bit, so you'll gain
knowledge of it as well.

I'm a language neutral type of person. Certain tasks seem to work better
with different languages. For instance, if I need to interactively drive
some applications, I get the job done quickly with Expect. If I need more
advanced handling, I might use PERL to do the same thing. What I like about
PERL is my code seems more easily ported than other languages. I'm a
Winblows admin type guy, so I might write something in a unix environment
and then decide to use it in microsquish land. I think no matter which
languages or books you ultimately choose and whatever tasks you try to
fulfill, the most important thing is to understand the logic that drives the
code. If you get to the point where you're developing intricate algorithms,
a good book is "The Algorithm Design Manual" by Skiena.

I hope my humble ramblings help.

Michael Schack