On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 07:13:08PM -0500, Pizza of Hut wrote:
> Do any of you programmers out there know of a good resource for
> learning to program in C under a Linux environment? Also, is there
> an online resource that any of you know of where I can get a rundown
> on the myriad of languages available for Linux?

The all time C Bible:

    B. W. Kernighan & D. M. Ritchie, "The C Programming Language", 2nd
    Ed. 1988, 1978, Prentice Hall P T R.

    ISBN 0-13-110370-9
    ISBN 0-13-110370-8 (paperback)

Programming on Linux in C is like programming in any other platform in
C.  If you're using Debian, do an apt-get on the following packages:

    make binutils glibc-doc manpages-dev libtool indent astyle patch
    strace cvs gettext gnu-standards gcc-2.9.5 (or greater) info

That should get you started.  info(1) docs provide A LOT OF INFO!
Read them.  I have found this resource INVALUABLE over the years.
Section 3 manpages are useful in that you get ALL of the glibc
functions and some of the structures described in these manpages.

The book I suggested above is required reading of ANY college student,
regardless of the platform their professors choose.  I'm quite happy
with the book.  It may look small and a bit arcane, but there's some
good solid C foundations in it.  Read it and do the exercises.  Don't
buy the solutions book until you've gone through the book at least
once.  You will learn a lot of good programming practices if you use
this as your primary resource.

I find the presence of the aforementioned book on the shelves or desk,
earmarked and worn, a indication of a good C programmer.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD