That sounds like the problem with the power button to me.  I worked on a few linux
boxes with ATX.  It is kind of a pain when you hit the power button and the
computer restarts.
Especially when you get the wrong type of ram and your trying to shut it down so
you don't fry the chips.  You have to sit there and listen to the damn thing beep (
REALLY LOUDLY ) for 7 seconds.
I've had to hold it down anywhere from 3 to 7 seconds.  7 seems to be the max on
any computer I've ever worked on though.
Maybe you can set it in your bios depending on how new the computer is.

> CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, also.

Doesn't shut the computer down/restart?  Does it do anything?
This is set in /etc/inittab.  This section should be in there somewhere.

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t5 -r now

HTH
sim