I installed redhat 7.1 on a machine last weekend and now I can't power
off with the on/off button.

I had redhat 6.2 on the same machine for at least a year without
trouble.

Now when I do a shutdown, the on/off button causes the keyboard lights
to flash but nothing else.

I have to pull the power cord.

CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing, also.

The reset button does reboot the machine.
And shutdown -r now, works also.

I dropped out of x-windows and did the shutdown myself, with same
affect.

Power management is off in the BIOS.

I get all the normal shutdown messages:

halting system
stopping all md devices
power down

This is a hand built machine with a ASUS dual celeron 500 mobo (forgot
the model).
It reports the 2.4.2-2smp kernel.
I did not rebuild the kernel.
Nothing remarkable in the machine, just a SCSI CDROM and two 30GB IDE's.

Seems fine other than this one problem, so far.

And Win98 powers down fine.
Even turns off the machine.

Any ideas?

I'd like to keep redhat on one machine, so switching to Mandrake or
Debian is a last resort.
Those two run fine on  all my other boxes, I might add.