> Has anyone managed to make the secondary outputs on their
> SB Live work?

Even under Windoze, I've never gotten mine to work.  I've
suspected my "white box" SB live as being not so reliable,
given the price and the odd quirkiness with it.  So maybe
it's just my wacky card.

Which gets me thinking to the analog meter project.  There's
several output ports on the card, you could use the main L&R
for your speakers and the remaining ports for your output to
the meter assembly.  Maybe this sort of thing was discussed
already on the analog meter thread, but I don't remember
seeing it.