On Sat, 5 May 2001, Jay W. Anderson wrote:

> Check the date:
> This classic article from Mario Wolczko first appeared on Usenet in
> 1986.
> I don't think that they had the option to boot from cdrom.
>

> On 4 May 01, at 21:23, Austad, Jay wrote:
>
> > What version of unix was it?  If solaris, they could have just put in the
> > cdrom and done "boot -s cdrom" or if linux just used Tom's root boot.  I
> > assume other Unices also have some sort of boot from cdrom in single-user
> > mode feature.

Not only that, it was clear that they were running on a VAX, so it was
probably DEC's UNIX.  Definitely not Solaris or Linux.  They also wanted
to avoid having to call DEC field service.  They were a good field service
group, but service being what it is, it inspired the following joke:
---
Q:  How do you know the DEC field service engr. stopped by the side of the
road with a flat tire?

Q:  How do you know the DEC field service engr. stopped by the side of the
road because he's out of gas?

A:  He's the one changing all the tires to find out which one's flat.

:)

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous