Are you asking about routing traffic to and/or from a network which
has non-routable addresses (192.168.x.y for example)?  If so, this is
easily done, at least with FreeS/WAN, which is what I have
implemented.  I have implemented several VPN connections between
networks with non-routable addresses.

The mode that FreeS/WAN assumes is one where the two machines running
FreeS/WAN are simply gateways that tunnel traffic for the networks
behind them.

HTH,

Eric