Bob Tanner wrote:

> Quoting Yaron (jethro at freakzilla.com):
> > I don't know how to do this in bash, but it works with tcsh so it should
> > work fine with bash too... do HOSTNAME=`hostname` and then source
> > /etc/bashrc.$HOSTNAME... will that work?
>
> Will bash do that automagically?
> --
> Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
> http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500
> Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

I do this by having a standard .bashrc source the custom .bashrc.

In other words I have the same .bashrc on all the machines, and in
that .bashrc I have

CUSTOMRC=.bashrc.`hostname`

[ -x "$CUSTOMRC" ] && {
   . "$CUSTOMRC"
}

I think you could also simply modify /etc/profile to do this also.
I'm not sure if /etc/profile is 'standard', although it has worked
in every circumstance I have tried it.