I don't know about the config files but I do know that we have users with
spaces in there names.  It is kind of a pain because logcheck ( maybe it was
logrotate.... ) has some problems with spaces in names.  We simply stopped
checking/rotating the logs.  There wasn't much activity anyway.
I don't think there is a problem with spaces in samba.  I'm not the guy who
set it up though. : )

sim