Anyone know how to increase FD_SETSIZE on kernel 2.4?  When I follow the
instrutions for increasing it for 2.2, the kernel compile fails.

I'm getting me a copy of freebsd 4.2 instead, but I have some machines
already running linux in remote locations, and I don't really want to fly
out or send someone to just install BSD on them.

Modifying /proc/sys/fs/[inode|file]-max isn't enough.

I'm setting up a high capacity reverse squid proxy, and squid is throwing
lots of running out of filedescriptors errors during testing.