http://www.pulver.com/fwd

Not launched yet, but I'm a beta tester for it.  I still haven't received my
Komodo gateway though and it was supposed to be here last week.

You need some sort of high speed connection to use it though, DSL, Cable,
T1, etc.  And a static IP.  Apparently you'll be able to buy the Cisco
Komodo gateways in Best Buy this summer.

Basically, your gateway plugs into your network, and into your phone line.
You plug your phone into the gateway.  When you pick up your phone to make a
call, if it's local it gets passed over your normal phone line, if it's LD
the gateway checks the FWD server for another node in the area code that you
are calling, if one exists, it tells the remote gateway to dial the number
for you, and then patches your gateway to the remote one via IP.  If a
remote node doesn't exist, it just routes over your normal line.  You have
to obviously share your line with others calling your area code, but you get
free phone calls to other places (even out of the country).

Jay