I appreciate all the responses to my previous query. However, no one
has answered my original question: is it possible to redirect calls for
dotfiles in my home directory to another directory? I understand that
most of you are fine with millions of dotfiles filling up your home
directory. That's cool. But I would really appreciate the ability to
keep all those files in another directory, so that when I use a
program, I don't have to scroll through miles of hidden directories.
First one that comes to mind is mtv: when I go to open a file, there
are all those hidden directories. In other words, this is not just a
matter of what options get tacked to the end of ls! Not every program
hides them like the Gnome and KDE open file dialog.
   So, to recap: is there something that will redirect calls? For
instance, say program foo wants to open up ~/.bar. The call is
intercepted and the call changed to ~/dotfiles/.bar. Sort of like
symbolic links without the actual link. Is this possible? Can some
program run in the background and handle this? That's all I want to
know.
   Thanks again,
   :Peter