My experience has been similar.  I don't upload a lot so I don't monitor the
speed, 5MB of website space doesn't get you too far, but I have had downloads
as fast as 208kB/s.  That is 208 kBytes per second which translates to nearly
1.7 Mega bits per second.   It's not usually that fast but most of the time
if I connect to a hot server with a good pipe I average about 150kB/s or
1.2Mb/s.   Not too shabby for less than $40 a month. (Not much less.)

I know this because I have been trying to get linux back up and running since
I ?upgraded? to a MSI MB running dual PIII 733's.   Lots of multidisk ISO
downloads for different distro's.  Keep getting seg faults during
install...but that's another story.  Both BeOS and QNX boot just fine but I
had to do a repair on Win2K and linux (multi distro's) got part way through
boot and just stick, I think it's a memory thing. (If I weren't such a newbie
it would probably be working by now.)

I guess it's time to scrub the drive and start over from scratch.   Maybe I
will try "Potato" again since most of you guys really seem to like it.   Now
I have plans for the weekend:

4 A.M. Saturday fdisk HD. (I'm an early riser)
4:30 A.M. Install Win2K (gotta have it for work, and windows will stomp on
the mbr anyway)
8:30 A.M. swear I will pee on uncle Bill's grave after f***ing around with
drivers/reboots/networking for hours
8:35 A.M. Have a cup of coffee, better if it's of the Irish variety
9:00 A.M. start installing BeOS (it's my fallback when everything else fails,
and the bootloader rocks)
9:20 A.M. finish installing BeOS upgrades and start installing QNX
10:20 A.M finish QNX install, add it to Be bootloader
10:30 A.M. pour first drink, hell it's noon somewhere
10:31 A.M. start "Potato" install, save the fun stuff for last
12:01 P.M. finish setting up linux and smile, job well done.
12:15 P.M. start another pot of Irish coffee, maybe skip the coffee, and for
god sake eat something
2:00 P.M. to 2 A.M. thrive in the glow of some functional linux, start
learning BASH scripting
4 A.M. Sunday post to the group how things worked.  (again I'm an early
riser)

Note to to the humor impaired:
Everything after "I guess...." is really, well maybe, a joke.  I'll let you
know on Sunday.  :-P

I warned you it was O.T.

SG, O.S.D.