Greetings! My name is Peter Clark, and I have been using Linux as my
primary OS for more than two years now. I'm currently running Mandrake
7.2, but really don't like its feel. I basically got it for KDE 2.0. :)
Once Progeny is released, I might try that.
   Anyways, I have a question that has vexed me for some time now, but
have not found the answer. Namely, is there anyway to prevent dotfiles
from taking over my home directory? In the past, my solution has been
to recompile the source code so that the dotfiles point to
~/.dotfiles/, but this is not always convinient. Is there any program
or daemon that sits in the background, waiting to redirect calls for
dotfiles from home to a directory of my choice? Obviously, I don't want
to redirect _everything_ from my home directory, otherwise, it is
useless. I just want to have a convinient directory that stores all
those dotfiles, so that every time I view my home directory (`ls` is
aliased to `ls -la` of course) I don't have to view pages of rc files,
kde and gnome prefs, etc. Any hints, comments, or suggestions would be
appreciated.
   Thanks!
   :Peter