Hmm, if you're concerned about logging in as root securely, wouldn't doing "su -" be a more viable option?  At work we've completely disabled any
and all remote logins as root.  You either have to be at the console of the server to log in as root, or need to "su" to it.

If you're doing this on Slackware, I do believe that they prevent remote logins as well.  At least on my systems here at home prevent any remote
logins as root.

Shawn