After doing some more digging, and reading a bit more, I found that if I put
these two lines in:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -i ppp0 -j MASQ

things work.  Though, now this leads me to think that if the above works with a
dialing device, would the one you suggest below be for an ethernet device?  I
admit to having not tried yours below Jay, but this is a thought for some more
understanding on my end.

Also, I admit to being a bit naive on this.  But, the the heck is CIDR?