On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:42:44PM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
>it's doable. I never use anything but minicom for a serial console.
>you just have to go through the configuration and turn off flow control,
>then remove all the init strings that it would otherwise send when
>connecting.
or put
-
set line /dev/blah
set baud foo
set carrier-watch off
connect
-
with the settings you want into a file, and run kermit <file>
or make 1 file for anything you want to connect to and alias them all to
different things, ie
alias ttyS1 = kermit ttys1
where ttys1 is the config using /dev/ttyS1 (umm duh... :-)

I've tried to use minicom for many things, and find it's not quite supposed to
but can... whereas kermit was designed as a "shell" for serial/network access,
which makes it perfect for serial-console stuff and much much more.. (It can
be used as a local shell like bash as well.)
Thanks,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator