Newer? Debian is ALWAYS the newest. I have used their sparc distro as well,
it was pretty nice! Made me feel right at home, even for a sun box; I dont
have too much experiance with them. :)

And all you have to download is a couple of floppies for the inital install,
then walk away as the packsges download.