On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 04:26:01PM -0500, duncan wrote:
>I have a RocketPort PCI card from comtrol, and a dumb black box that
>connects to this card, and has 16 rj-45 ports on it.  I use that, and
>rj-45 to db-9 converters attatched to the serial port on box1, box2, box3,
>... box16 (all redhat6.2 and 7.0).
>My objective is clear, my method is not clear (to me)
Console over serial at boot time.
Make sure console on serial is compiled into your kernel (character devices
section) into your kernels and add an append line similar to the following:
append="console=ttyS0,19200"  on each box you would like to get console on.

Now they will dump console data over the serial line, all you should need now
is matching settings in kermit, and point it at the port # that box is plugged
into on the rocketport, ie box10.local is on serial 10, enter kermit on the
machine you ssh'd into, and run the following
set line /dev/ttyS9
set baud 19200
set carrier-watch off
connect
Console over serial, Hurrah!!
>I need to be able to ssh to this PC with 16port black box that attatches
>to RocketPort and use minicom (or something similar) and get a conolse
>connection to the other boxes when something flakes out.  Buffering of the
>screen is nice too.
Kermit!!! minicom sucks.
>I believe that this shouldnt be difficlut, nor everly complex.  We are
>trying to implement this over a 5-10K box from clearview or someone like
>that.
>
>The device ships with some diagnostice to test the install, and that
>passes.
>
>I have even had to build cables with different pinouts to get it to work
>for our cisco devices.
Of course! Why would cisco use standard pin-outs for anything, they don't even
standardize the console pin-outs across their product lines, (700 series
console cable won't work for 800, etc.)

>I think the core of my problem lays at the linux level, not the device.  I
>dont feel like i have the system set up to do console over serial port...
It just takes that kernel option and the lilo line. If you bios supports it,
you can setup your bios identical to your console settings (or vice versa) and
have console over serial from POST on! (ever tweaked your bios's remotely?!)

>thanks again.
Good Luck!
--
Thomas J. Hudak