We have 2 computers in the DMZ and 2 on internal network that backup nightly.  We
use only ssh and rsync.  Using keys for automatic login make this very nice.  rsync
is just a cron job.
What kind of backup media are you using?  We simply use linux built in tools for
backup.  No special software needed if you tape drive is supported ( probably ).
We use a slow tape drive that backs up about 26-30 GB a night.  It's a slow tape
drive so it ends around 7:00 in the morning right before work.  Starts at about
7:00 at night.

Bob Tanner wrote:

> Quoting Timothy Wilson (wilson at visi.com):
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Austad, Jay wrote:
> >
> > > rsync is another option, however, with rsync if someone does compromise your
> > > webserver, they are going to have a better chance of getting a shell on your
> > > tape server if you have rsync set up to do it's thing automatically, because
> > > the .known_hosts file for sshd on the tape server will allow the webserver
> > > to login with no password.  Even if you use an account that has a shell of
> > > /bin/false, it's not the most comforting thought in the world.
> >
> > My understanding of the suggestion was to set up another Linux box inside
> > the network that would be backed up via the BackupExec agent. The
> > inside-the-firewall box would rsync nightly with the Web server via ssh. Do
> > I have that straight.
>
> Yeah. IT might cheaper to put a tape on the DMZ.

Why even use BackupExec?  For windows?  I havn't seen any backup software to
compare with Retrospect... But that's a mac thing. ;-)

sim