Quoting Timothy Wilson (wilson at visi.com):
> Here's the question: How 'bout putting a 2nd NIC in the Webserver and
> putting that NIC on the internal network? The 2nd one would get a 10.* IP
> address and shouldn't have any trouble accessing the tape library.
>
> It's certainly possible to prevent cross-traffic between the NICs, but I'm
> not sure if this setup is really "securable." How much trouble am I asking
> for? :-)
>
> Anybody have any advice?

Danger! Danger!

I saw Amy's post and I totally agree. Don't do it.

How much data is on the web server?

Do you want to do a full or incremental backup?

What we have done is setup ssh in a very restricted fashion to ssh to the
DMZ, and tar the contents of the web server across the ssh tunnel to a local box
that is then backed up on the private network.

This works well for a medium amount of data and is very secure.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500