Shawn wrote:
> Hi, I'm confused.  Nice to meet you...  Just smack me
> upside the head please.

*SMACK*  Feel better? ;-)

> Everyone talks about using Pine, or other text based mail
> programs.  I was just curious as to how the text based
> mail programs relate and tie in with web browsers.  Maybe
> it's just easier for me to use Netscape mail still.  what
> I'm looking at though is to be able to get mail outside of
> my browser so I don't have to run netscape in the
> background.  That's where I was thinking of using
> sendmail, besides it's already installed.  Maybe Pine
> would be a better option?  Or, Bob had talked about one
> that acts like Lookout.

OK.  Quick crash course you could probably get in any Mail
FAQ.  In order to use pine or mutt, Mail User Agents
(MUA's), you have to do a number of things.  They're not all
that difficult to set up, but steps you have to take, none
the less.

Firstly, you need to retrieve your email from other sources
(POP or IMAP) and deliver it to your local machine.
fetchmail(1) is the best tool for this -- bar none.  Used in
combination with procmail(1) as your local delivery agent
(LDA), it makes a powerful combination for filtering
incoming mail, blocking spam, and other useful things.

	bash# apt-get install fetchmail procmail

The next step is to send email via SMTP.  If your box is
behind a firewall, or if you'd like your ISP to deliver your
email for you, configure your Mail Transport Agent to act as
a "null client".  In other words, it simply forwards mail to
your "smart hub" to be delivered.  A very minimalistic MTA
is ssmtp(1).  If you want more power, you can use MTA's such
as postfix (my favorite), sendmail, exim, smail, or even
qmail(in non-free, I believe).  They all work fine for this
capacity.  I would suggest ssmtp if you're using your ISP to
relay for you.

	bash# apt-get install ssmtp

The rest, such as setup, you should be able to gather on
your own through /usr/share/doc/<package> and the various
HOWTO's available at http://www.linuxdoc.org.  (Or, install
the HOWTO's locally.)

--
^chewie

Sorry about not signing my email...I can't get access to my
home workstation today. CCW-20010320