Well, Linux does support EFS and XFS filesystems. Both are experimental so
you'll have to enable "Prompt for development and/or incomplte code/drivers"
under "Code maturity level options" (make menuconfign or make xconfig)

SGI EFS filesystem support is under Filesystems and is present in 2.2.18 and
up (and possible earlier, 2.2.18 is the only 2.2 source tree I have handy.)

It's probally best to go with a 2.4 series kernel. I swear I saw XFS support
in 2.4.2, but I can't find it now. I do see EFS and SGI Partition support (I
didn't see SGI Partition support in 2.2.18, but that doesn't mean it isn't
there.) Check out http://linux-xfs.sgi.com/projects/xfs/ for XFS info.

Hmm, on second thought, I belive I saw xfs stuff in dselect (Debian package
xfsprogs, and not to be confused with various fond servers) Pretty sure now
that you don't get XFS support without patches from the URL above.

But in the end, the answer is yes, you can. Does it work? Haven't a clue.
Looks like it should though.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132