> You can use smbpasswd to set up initial passwords.  There are also
> options for synchronizing the Linux account passwords with the Samba
> passwords in smb.conf.  I've gotten all Win 9x clients (including ME) to
> be domain users.  There should be a lot of info in smb.conf, also check
> www.samba.org (I think that's the URL).  If you have Win2K clients,
> you'll need Samba TNG or Samba 2.2 (I think both are still in
> development stages though).

Extra notes:
smbpasswd will create a separate account database. It is recommended that
when adding users the smb username is the same as their UNIX username. The
option to enable
password synching will update the password in two places, /etc/passwd (or
shadow...) and /etc/samba/smbpasswd. This works when you change your
password from the Windows Passwords control panel applet (9x) or the
Security Manager (NT, whatever it's called, hit ctrl+alt+del while logged in
to NT). It does not work in reverse (changing your password using the passwd
command will not change your smbpasswd.)

The domain controller support is Samba is not complete, but it is complete
enough to support everything 9x clients support. NT4 clients do work, but
there are a few limitations that I don't recall. Windows 2000 clients do not
work with the current domain controller code. (Current version of samba is
2.0.7 I believe.)

The developmental branches of samba do support Windows 2000, but the team
members don't guarantee the functionality, as it is still developmental.

I'm unaware of the current state of the branches. At one point the samba
code was forked, one branch became what is considered the release version of
samba, the other branch became known as Samba-TNG. While the samba people
concentrated in optimizing samba for getting the best performance possible
out of their SMB protocol (SMB and good performance don't exactly go
together...) the TNG team concentrated on creating a domain controller. The
intent was that TNG would never be considered a stable release, and the
working domain controller code would become part of samba v3.

Well, the two teams have some creative (among other...) differences and I
gave up following the discussions/arguments and am unaware of the whole
situation. Samba does a fine job serving files/printers and plays nice with
the NT domain, so I'm happy.

If I'm wrong anywhere please post a polite correction.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132