cool, it worked thanks guys...
(compiling with the MD5 option didn't, i probably id
something wrong)

lets see, i think LILO works fine now (i am not in a
mood to reboot the server, hehehe)

question: (you must be sick of me by now, promise to
buy you a round of beer once i can ;-)) ever cat a
binary file? looks ugly doesnt it? not how do i fix
that?

if you dont know what i am talking about try
cd /etc
cat mount

i now have 2 ttys that are unreadable, maybe i should
restart after all, (BTW: some distros fix that if you
logout)

 -munir

=====