On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Munir Nassar wrote:

> Ok, i banished Mandrake from my server forever and
> replaced it with Slackware, worked like a charm...
>
> samba is up and running no problems whatsoever... i
> was able to recompile the kernel and some other stuff
> (links, lftp, vim, openssl+openssh) overall i would
> say a very good experience....
>
> i am having some problems with LILO and OpenSSH i will
> spam you guys more know once i have more info..

 As for the OpenSSH thing, I'd suggest adding "--with-md5-passwords" to
your variables when running ./configure.  That's one annoying detail I've
run into installing OpenSSH on Slackware -- OpenSSH assumes that unless
the system has PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) support, it doesn't
use MD5 passwords.  Veeery annoying.  And on systems that *do* use PAM
(i.e. RedHat), you have to copy the sshd.pam file in the contrib directory
to /etc/pam.d/sshd or wherever.
 Look at it this way: When I discovered this minor fluke, I was installing
OpenSSH on a 486/25, I believe.  (Not mine.)  Boy, did that compile take a
long time.
 (I'd say this is a pretty good guess for having no details aside from the
distribution. ;)
 Hope this helps.

     Jima