Word has the option to save docs as html (bad html) but I can't remember off
hand what it does with pictures.  I would guess that is saves them seperately
as jpgs (I hope it's not bmp).   Excel can save as tab or comma delimited
text but you would lose all the formuli, but Star Office should read Excel
files, well kinda.
(Pivot tables and the like may not work.)

To save as pdf in Winders you gotta pay for it and I doubt that anyone is
going to spend $400 on Acrobat just so they can save stuff in a format you
can read.  $200 for a horseshit OS and $400 for a crappy office app but
that's what EVERYONE uses, right?

<RANT>
I went through this song and dance when the company I work for was trying to
come up with a image format that everyone could read easily.  As much as I
pissed and moaned they still decided to imbed images in a Word doc for
distribution.  (I tried to tell them a jpg or png would be much more
universal, then I got the blank stare????)

I even went to far as to set up an intranet for commonly used files, EMC test
reports, phone lists, common web pages and even antivirus updates (I ended up
having to use login scripts (NT) for antivirus updates, but then they piss
and moan when their computer reboots even though the script warns them.) but
I can't even get the hardware engineers to use the intranet, they still come
to me for hardcopies or CDs for test reports.  Shit, click, open and print
how hard is that?

If I ever get around to starting my own company all employees will have to
use Linux, BSD, QNX or BeOS for a month as a desktop OS BEFORE they can get a
machine loaded with Windows.  Just for email and internet use.  This is a
sore spot for me too.  I have been dealing with this shit for 3 years since I
started using alternate OS's at home for my personal use.
</RANT>

Sorry, I had a really bad day at work.  I can't remember the last time I
wanted to just walk out the door, but today I thought about it for 7 of the
10 hours I was there.  (I've been there 10 years in May.)

I think I am going to unplug the phone, grab a load o beer and watch The
Matrix until I feel better.  ;-P
See you in a month.  :-)

SG, O.S.D.