Hi

Thanks Dave and Kent for the info. I tried the Ctrl/Alt/{+,-} thing, and it did
have a slight effect, or at least I could convince myself that I heard
something of a difference.

I've also noticed that it doesn't start right away after the Linux login screen
comes, but takes a couple of minutes. Also, as soon as it kicks out of graphics
mode on reboot, the sound goes away (I can still hear it in my head --
Arrrggh).

Do you think this is a defective monitor or is it something I've done with the
driver, such as using the wrong one (and therefore the rest are working their
way to a problem also).

Thanks again

Ed