I think PDF is just as "grotty" for sending documents around, with the same liabilities you list for PS. I also think PS isn't as inflexible as you make it out to be, but I do have a problem with the quality of output that some utilities produce.

Most proprietary formats are pretty lame for a variety of reasons. Why don't we have a "universal document format" open standard at this time in our technological development? Is it really such a tech "hotbed" and advancing at too fast a rate?

>>> dd-b at dd-b.net 03/09/01 03:39PM >>>
PS is really grotty for sending documents around.  I have to run huge,
fragile, utilities just to view or print it, either on windows or on
Linux.  And PS is essentially a write-only format (particularly as
most printer drivers produce it), so I can't *do* anything with a
document I get in ps except view or print it.

I'd much rather get even Microsoft proprietary formats than PS (an
Adobe proprietary format, after all); there are more utilities that
can do more things with them.