Hey everyone,

I'm trying to put Debian on my new Compaq DL380, but I'm running into
trouble with the disk controller. First, I had to build a custom kernel to
replace the one on the Deiban boot floppy. That wasn't hard. The error is
that the Debian installer can't find a hard disk. Looking at dmesg shows
that the RAID controller is detected, but it also shows 0 SCSI hosts
detected.

Part of the problem is that I can't figure out exactly which SCSI controller
this beast uses. It's either Adaptec or Symbios. Can you simply compile
support for multiple controllers into the kernel and hope that it will
figure which one to load on its own? (For simplicity, I'm not using any
kernel modules for this.)

A RedHat 6.2 floppy seemed to work fine (I didn't go very far into the
install), but I couldn't tell from that which SCSI driver it was using. Any
hints on how to figure it out? <rant>Why can't the stupid RedHat installer
give you the option of opening a straight shell?</rant>

On a lark, I tried putting the RedHat kernel on the Debian disk, but it
didn't work. I got some keyboard error.

Anybody have a suggestion about how to proceed?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/