HOEFFNER at dcmir.med.umn.edu wrote:

> Hi
>
> Weird hardware type question. We bought 3 Dell machines with winders on them
> and then installed RH6.2 about 3/4 year ago. A couple of months ago some people
> started complaining about a high pitched whistle/whine/not sure how to describe
> it coming from one of them in Linux. Then, I couldn't hear it, but this last
> week or so I can (it's pretty loud and quite annoying). It only happens on this
> one machine and only when it kicks into graphics mode. It doesn't do it in
> windows at all. The other machines don't do it either. I had someone else
> install RH on these machines, but they should all have the same driver.
>
> Is there anything I can do about this? Since it's only in RH, which Dell
> refused to install, it would seem I'm SOL when it comes to turning to them.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks

A high pitched whine in a monitor is almost always a capacitor pushed past
it's current design limits (capacitors seem to degrade with age).  My guess
is that linux is running the monitor at a higher refresh rate.  You can
confirm this if your monitor has an on screen display that reports
refresh rates.

If this is the case, you can modify or insert (or uncomment) a modeline in
XF86Config that has a lower refresh rate.

As a reality check, you could press [ctrl][alt]+ or [ctrl][alt]-.  If your
XF86Config has multiple resolutions enabled, your screen resolution will change
when you press those key combinations.  My guess is the whine will get worse
or better.